Call To Set Up Your Free Consultation 844.913.7747

What Is Larceny in the 6th Degree?

What is Larceny?

Larceny ranges from 1st degree (the most serious) to 6th degree. In Connecticut, a person commits larceny when, with intent to deprive another of property or to appropriate the same to themselves or a third person, they wrongfully take, obtain or withhold such property from an owner.

Examples include, embezzlement, obtaining property by false pretenses, acquiring property by mistake, extortion, and most popularly—shoplifting. However, not all larceny is the same, and how much you steal and how you do it dictates how you are punished.

Below we’ll discuss the least serious offense—6th degree larceny—and what it’s all about.

What is 6th Degree Larceny?

6th degree larceny is also known as “petty theft.” If the value of property or services stolen is $500 or less, the offense is considered larceny in the 6th degree, which is a class C misdemeanor. The maximum penalty is 3 months in prison and/or a $500 fine.

However, it is often possible to have charges dropped in exchange for restitution and community service for a first offense larceny charge. This would prevent you from facing jail time and from having a criminal record, which could damage your ability to get a job or get accepted to a university. As an offender, you may also qualify for Accelerated Rehabilitation, which allows you to be put on probation and have the charges dropped from your record after 13 months, as long as you do not commit any additional offenses.

Facing Petty Theft Charges in Connecticut?

If you have been charged with larceny, you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer by your side. At Tomeo Sills, LLC, our Connecticut theft crime attorneys are ready to defend you, whether you have a misdemeanor charge of shoplifting or a felony charge of robbery. Our skilled team has successfully represented thousands of criminal cases and the skills and resources to effectively fight your charges.

Call (844) 913-7747 or contact us online to speak with an attorney.