False Arrest and Unlawful Restraint

Legal Definition of False Arrest

The law defines false arrest as arresting someone or bringing them into police custody without sufficient cause for arrest or unlawfully holding a person against their will and restricting their freedom to move about. This doesn’t only apply to police officers; any person who detains or inhibits you from moving or going anywhere can be guilty of unlawfully restraint.

What to Do if You Have Been Falsely Arrested or Unlawfully Restrained

If you have been unfairly arrested or detained by law enforcement, your first move should be getting in touch with experienced Connecticut criminal defense attorneys who can help you. At Tomeo Sills, LLC, we know that being arrested and held against your will by law enforcement can be demoralizing, embarrassing, and harmful to you on multiple levels, and we are prepared to help you hold the responsible parties accountable.

In order to successfully sue someone for falsely arresting you, you will be required to prove several things. First of all, you will have to prove that you were intentionally, willfully confined by the offender and they were fully aware of your restriction. You must also prove that the offender was fully aware of your objection to the detention/arrest. Proving intent and awareness is particularly important because false arrest is considered an intentional tort.

Establish Your Innocence—Call a Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyer Now

If you believe a police officer has arrested you without reasonable cause for doing so, contact an experienced Connecticut criminal defense attorney right away, especially if you are not guilty of the crimes you are being accused of. Because a police arrest goes on your public record, it is especially important that you take action when inappropriately detained. Our knowledgeable team at Tomeo Sills, LLC has cleared the reputations of multiple clients, and we are prepared to go to bat for you.

Call us at (844) 913-7747 today, or contact us online to start the conversation and schedule a free case evaluation.