What Happens if You Are Arrested for a DUI in Another State?

Posted By Tomeo Sills, LLC || 20-Dec-2017

You’re on holiday in another state and you’re driving back to the hotel after dinner and drinks. A police officer pulls you over for not stopping properly at a stop sign and they smell alcohol on your breath. Even a couple of glasses of wine can put your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) above the legal limit. You are arrested for a DUI, but you’re out-of-state. What happens next?

DUI in Another State

If you are arrested in another state, you face similar consequences as you do in your home state, such as jail time, fines, community service, enrollment in a treatment program, etc. You are required to go to court in the state you received the DUI, meaning you will need to fly back at a later time.

One difference may be the specific charge you receive. Certain states, such as New York, use the term “driving while impaired” or “driving while ability impaired,” but they all technically mean the same thing. Another difference is the police cannot take away your home state license, although they can impose other punishments and revoke your right to drive in the state where the crime occurred.

The information about your DUI will also be sent to the local police in your home state. They may decide to punish you under your own state’s laws, on top of any punishments from the state in which you were caught driving under the influence.

Overall, it’s very similar to getting a DUI anywhere in the United States. Some states carry harsher penalties while others are more lenient, so your DUI will all depend on the state you’re in and your history of driving under the influence.

Ask for a Free Consultation with a DUI Lawyer

If you were arrested for drinking and driving in another state, contact our Connecticut DUI attorneys at Tomeo Sills, LLC. Receiving an out-of-state DUI can be scary to deal with, but if you enlist our legal guidance, we can walk you through the entire process.

Call (844) 913-7747 or contact us online to talk to a lawyer.

Categories: DUI
Blog Home