With all of these national gun law debates arising, many people are losing
sight of the states with functioning gun laws. In Connecticut, the gun
laws seem to be working just fine. In fact, Connecticut had the fourth
lowest number of fatalities caused by guns per capita among all of the
states in 2013.
Currently, Connecticut abides by the following gun regulations:
- The state requires a background check before individuals can transfer handguns
or long guns. This means background checks do not just occur when firearms
are exchanged between licensed dealers ad buyers.
- Background checks are required before any transfer can occur at a gun show.
- Firearm dealers must have specific licenses.
- Long gun, ammunition, and handgun buyers must obtain a certificate stating
their eligibility before purchasing any kind of firearm.
- The state does not allow assault weapons or a large number of ammunition
magazines to be transferred or possessed.
- The state requires a two-week wait period before a person can obtain a
long gun from a licensed dealer.
- The state is responsible for conducting their own background checks. This
means they do not have to wait or rely on the Federal Bureau of Investigation to do so.
- Any person prohibited from possessing a firearm must be reported to the
database so other licensed dealers can perform accurate background checks.
- Firearm owners must report any lost or stolen firearms immediately.
- The state allows the local government to regulate ammunition and firearms
and gives the local government the right to deny any person their concealed
Have You Been Arrested for a Gun-Related Crime?
If you have been accused of a
weapons crime, contact our Connecticut criminal defense lawyers at Tomeo Sills, LLC.
We can listen to every intricacy involved with your case so we can begin
building a strong case for you. We understand a criminal record can negatively
impact various parts of a person’s life. That is why we commit our
practice to defending the rights, futures, and freedoms of those accused
of serious crimes.
Retain the aggressive representation you need on your side by
getting in touch with our Connecticut criminal defense attorneys at Tomeo Sills, LLC!